From "Steve Souza" <jamon...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating a SocketReceiver in log4j 1.2.15
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:18:56 GMT
I am interested in creating a Server for log4j that receives logging
messages from any multiple other servers (other servers are remote jvm's
that are also running log4j).  Sort of a centralized logging receiver, that
will
1) Use JAMon to track counts of logging messages by server and by level (see
http://jamonapi.sourceforge.net/log4j_jamonappender.html for screen
snapshots of the single server version of this),
2) Allow me to look at the most recent log messages by server via a web page
(sort of like tailing the various servers).

It is unclear to me how to proceed.  I think I should be able to use the
SocketReceiver and install the JAMonAppender on this server and do a proof
of concept fairly easily.  A couple questions

1) Is this the purpose of a SocketReceiver?  How does this differ from the
SocketHubReceiver?
2) Can this 1.2.15 SocketReceiver class receive log messages from ealier
versions of log4j such as 1.2.14?
3) Can I run a SocketReciever in the jvm of a web server such as Tomcat.
This would give me the ability to display any of the messages sent to it via
a web page which would be handy.
4) Is there any good documentation on ways to create a Server, and if not is
there any sample code?
5) Is this the location for the latest version of log4j?  (One comment is
that it would be nice to have a log4j page explaining the various links that
all seem to have code, and what the purpose of each is)
http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/1.2.15/

Thanks in advance.