From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging - What good is it ?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:18:47 GMT

On Jun 4, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Steve Souza wrote:

> I am interested in using a Log4j 1.3 SocketReceiver for JAMon to
> receive
> LoggingEvents.  I have a couple questions
>
> 1) Per the following link I see the first release of log4j 1.3 was
> in 2004,
> and it still hasn't had a beta let alone been released.  Are there
> any plans
> on releasing 1.3?  Does anyone know if the alpha is stable?
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/logging/log4j/
>
> 2) Are there any tutorials or documenation on using the new
> SocketReceiver?

log4j 1.3 development is effectively abandoned.  Much of the traffic
on the log4j-dev list since early April has dealt with the fate of
log4j 1.3.

Many features from log4j 1.3 have been backported to work with log4j
1.2 in the last two months and packaged as "companions" for log4j
1.2.x and Chainsaw has been rebased to work with log4j 1.2 and a
couple of the companions.  SocketReceiver is part of the "receivers"
companion.  I'm just in the process of migrating the companions from
the sandbox to the log4j repo and should have a release candidate in
a day or so.  As for documentation, I don't know of any other than
the code comments.