From "Hill, Alex" <Alex.H...@dkib.com>
Subject RE: log4j Timezones
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:00:39 GMT

guys already have in my own custom appender.

Cheers,

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: 20 July 2007 16:08
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: log4j Timezones

On Jul 20, 2007, at 7:33 AM, Hill, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using log4j 1.2.14 and have been having some trouble
> logging in GMT. Is there any way of setting the timezone of an
> appender?
> I ended up doing this:
>
>     TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone.getTimeZone("GMT"));
>
> This seems to work but it means my appender has to set this property
> globally. This isn't ideal as it may cause unexpected results in any
> applications using my appender.
>
> I saw somewhere that ConversionPattern has been extended in version
> 1.3
> to take a second parameter for a timezone such as below:
>
>     log4j.appender.FILE.layout.conversionPattern   = %d{yyyy-MM-dd
> hh:mm:ss z}{GMT+0} %-5p [%c{1}:%t] %m%n

The log4j 1.3 PatternLayout has been backported for use with log4j
1.2 as part of the "extras" companion which has not yet been released.
A release candidate is available at http://
people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4j/companions/extras/1.0/.  Place
the apache-log4j-extras-1.0.jar in the classpath and change the class
name from o.a.l.PatternLayout to o.a.l.EnhancedPatternLayout and you
should have all of the log4j 1.3 pattern features.  I would appreciate
any feedback on the release candidate reported to log4j-dev.

> Will this mean that the time based rolling appenders will roll
> correctly at the end of day as specified by the time zone or is this
> purely for the date text in the log? Is there a better way to specify
> the timezone properly?

The extras companions also include the log4j 1.3
org.apache.log4j.rolling RollingFileAppenders.  I need to make sure that
they use the EnhancedPatternLayout, but they should be able to roll at
midnight local time.  The stock DailyRollingFileAppender however isn't
affected by the presence of the enhanced pattern layout.

> I extended the DailyRollingFileAppender to delete out of date files,
> as it rolls, in order to clean up. This seems to have been deprecated
> and made final in version 1.3. Is it neccesary to make it final?

You may be looking at log4j 1.3 at the time DailyRollingFileAppender was
rewritten to delegate to org.apache.log4j.rolling.RollingFileAppender
(at least it was an improvement over not having DRFA at all).  The
current SVN HEAD does mark DRFA as deprecated and has some minor other
changes, but it is not marked final.

Deleting out of date files have always been problematic since you could
easily use a date pattern than omitted significant parts of the date and
you couldn't infer the actual time from the file name.  I'd suggest
using the o.a.l.rolling.RFA with an custom TriggeringPolicy.

This e-mail is confidential and the information contained in it may be privileged.  It should
not be read, copied or used by anyone other than the intended recipient.  If you have received
it in error, please contact the sender immediately by telephoning +44 (0)20 7623 8000 or by
return email, and delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person.  We believe,
but do not warrant, that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free, but you must take
full responsibility for virus checking.  Please refer to http://www.dresdnerkleinwort.com/disc/email/
and read our e-mail disclaimer statement and monitoring policy.

Dresdner Kleinwort is the trading name of the investment banking division of Dresdner Bank
AG, and operates through Dresdner Bank AG, Dresdner Kleinwort Limited, Dresdner Kleinwort
Securities Limited and their affiliated or associated companies.  Dresdner Bank AG is a company
incorporated in Germany with limited liability and registered in England (registered no. FC007638,
place of business 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised by the German Federal
Financial Supervisory Authority and by the Financial Services Authority ('FSA') and regulated
by the FSA for the conduct of designated business in the UK.  Dresdner Kleinwort Limited is
a company incorporated in England (registered no. 551334, registered office 30 Gresham Street,
London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised and regulated by the FSA.  Dresdner Kleinwort Securities
Limited is a company incorporated in England (registered no. 1767419, registered office 30
Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised and regulated by the FSA.