From Wayne Cannon <wcan...@turinnetworks.com>
Subject Re: SMTPAppender ignores Threshold value
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:24:37 GMT
Reasonable?  While you make a good point about the seeming arbitrariness
of the default trigger, it really is pretty trivial code.  In my case,
and I suspect many others, the desirable trigger for sending out recent
e-mail logs would be something entirely separate from log level.  --Wayne

    package com.cannon.log4j;

    import org.apache.log4j.Level;
    import org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent;
    import org.apache.log4j.spi.TriggeringEventEvaluator;

    public class TestEvaluator implements TriggeringEventEvaluator
    {
        private static final String triggerString = "MY TRIGGER STRING";
        private static final Level  triggerLevel = Level.INFO;

        public boolean isTriggeringEvent(LoggingEvent logEvent)
        {
            boolean result = false;
            String message = logEvent.getMessage().toString();
            Level level = logEvent.getLevel();
            if (level.isGreaterOrEqual(triggerLevel))
            {
                result = true;
            }
            else if (message.toUpperCase().startsWith(triggerString))
            {
                result = true;
            }

            return result;
        }
    }

jaikiran pai wrote:
> Curt thanks for the response. I understand that the INFO and lesser level logs are maintained
in a
> buffer till and ERROR event occurs (maybe for efficiency?). There might be valid scenarios
when the users might want to receive the mail as soon as the INFO event occurs and not wait
till some ERROR event is logged (which in some applications might never be logged). Currently,
in such cases where the user needs to override this behaviour, he needs to provide his own
implementation  for the TriggeringEventEvaluator, which does not  seem reasonable.  An alternate
approach would be to allow the user to configure the "TriggerLevel" in the configuration file
instead of hardcoding this to ERROR in the DefaultEvaluator. This would ensure that the user
has the flexibility to configure this.