From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j Timezones
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:33:47 GMT

On Jul 23, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Hill, Alex wrote:

> Hi Curt,
>
> Thanks for such a prompt reply.
>
> I've had a look at the new RollingFileAppender & the
> TimeBasedRollingPolicy and they look good to me. Unfortunately I work
> for a bank and they're pretty cautious about using alpha versions in
> production evironments. Do you have a feel for when we might expect a
> full release?

It is more of a process issue than technical issue at the moment.  I
do not think it is likely for log4j 1.2.15 or the companions to come
to a vote until the Chainsaw developers are ready for a release of
Chainsaw.  Hopefully we can get that out in the next month.  However
any feedback you can provide on the release candidates is very welcome.

> I understand the potential problems with deleting old log files and
> can
> appreciate why log4j wouldn't attempt a generic solution. It wasn't
> too
> hard to produce a solution to meet our particular needs extending the
> DailyRollingFileAppender. I will probably just adapt it to extend the
> RollingFileAppender later on when a full release comes out.
>
> I just noticed that in the javadoc I have for 1.3 alpha 8
> RollingFileAppender is marked final. Is this still the case? Looks
> like
> TimeBasedRollingPolicy is marked final too so I couldn't extend that.
> Would seem a shame if I had to rewrite the time based rolling logic
> you
> guys already have in my own custom appender.

No, it is no longer final in log4j 1.3.  Currently, the log4j 1.3 SVN
HEAD contains a port of the log4j 1.2 o.a.l.RFA and o.a.l.DRFA.  Just
before alpha 8, versions of o.a.l.RFA and DRFA that delegated to
o.a.l.rolling.RFA were written to provide a migration path for users
of the log4j 1.2 RFA and DRFA.  However, as those were just a proxy
to o.a.l.rolling.RFA, any extensions based on the log4j 1.2 code
would not work.  Prior to that, log4j 1.3 had no implementation of
o.a.l.RFA and DRFA and you were forced to migrate to
o.a.l.rolling.RollingFileAppender.

However, log4j 1.3 development is suspended and whatever is in the
log4j 1.3 alphas or SVN should only be of archaeological interested.
Users of log4j 1.3 alphas, should plan to migrate to either log4j 1.2
(likely using one or more of the companions to get features that had
only been available in log4j 1.3) or to log4j 2.0 (which is still in
exploratory development).

I know the website still reflects the status likely nearly two years
ago.  A preview of the new LS web site can be browsed at http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/index.html.