From Josh Drummond <joshdrumm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: multiple JVMs writing to the same file
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:20:44 GMT
You could also run a central syslog-ng server, and have the various JVMs send to it via a SyslogAppender
.  syslog-ng is free and powerful, you can do regex filtering and dump to file however you
like.  It supports the more reliable TCP, however last time I checked log4j only supports
UDP, so failover may be an issue here too.

----- Original Message ----
From: "Zakaria, Faheem" <faheem.zakaria@fmr.com>
To: Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:11:39 AM
Subject: RE: multiple JVMs writing to the same file

Hi Thomas,

There are two choices to your situation.

1. Save log output locally for each JVM and use a distributed log reader
for log analysis.  This has the benefits of centralized logging without
the mandate.  Of course, maintenance processes of identifying, indexing
and collating logs across JVMs can outweigh the benefits of this
approach.  Splunk and Veduta are two products which can help in this
category.

2. Centralize your logging using the JMSAppender and a messaging
platform.  Each JVM would queue its log messages to a central logging
server.  The logging server would receive log messages and persist them
to file or DBMS.  There are failover issues associated with this
approach and would need to be balanced within the context of your
architecture.  The messaging middleware can mitigate log server
failover.

-Faheem