From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using multiple config files with log4j
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:11:48 GMT

On Jul 20, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Matthew Kemp wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> First, I didn't realize that the XML include mechanism worked with
> log4j
> yet. I will give that a try and see if I can get it working. Do you
> know if
> it should work with version 1.2.9 - I know the current version is
> 1.2.14 but
> I'm stuck with the older version right now. Also, is the XML
> provided for
> the app_log4j.xml file?

I'm pretty sure that relative file names on external entities were
broken in log4j 1.2.9.   You may still be able to use it if you use
absolute URL's for the external files (something like file:///home/
username/somedir/base_config.xml).

> Second, from reading the mailing list it seemed that if a logger
> "foo.bar"
> was setup by one Configuration, then a second Configuration modified "
> foo.bar" in any way that all previous appenders would be closed and
> removed.
> I just need to be able to guarantee that additional configuration
> can be
> applied to a logger without affecting anything already done - I'm
> about 100%
> sure that this case will occur in my setup.

That does seem to be the case.  So it appears that you would need to
do substitution inside of each logger element instead of repeating
logger elements.

Your best bet map to be parse your source documents into a
org.w3c.dom.Element in your application and pass that to
DOMConfigure.configure(Element).  You'd be free to do just about
anything upstream as long as the DOM element looked like a standard
log4j configuration when you got done.