From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Propagate errors in a scripting application using log4j
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:17:12 GMT
The log4j-receivers module (close to release) actually contains a
ListModelAppender that you can use to hold events.  It's actually
designed to display events for Swing GUI's, but since it's a general
purpose model class, it can be used to hold events for anything.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/companions/receivers/
trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/varia/ListModelAppender.java

You could certainly grab that class standalone and use it for you
purposes.

cheers,

Paul

On 09/07/2007, at 6:41 PM, minimoe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've got a question regarding log4j and propagating errors in a
> program
> flow. I'm currently developing test case scripts using Rational
> Functional
> Tester which has a poor logging system and I've looked into using
> log4j
> instead.
>
> I can't find a way to make log4j propagate errors to a "higher
> instance".
> What I would like is for errors found in the "middle" of the
> program flow to
> propagate to the last stage of the process.
>
> An example flow where an error in a subscript propagates to end.
>
> Script 1
>  Subscript 1:1 OK!
>  Subscript 1:2 ERROR!
>  Subscript 1:3 OK!
> Script 1 Finished with ERROR in Subscript 1:2.
>
> Would it be good practice to use some kind of hierarchy in which
> the errors
> are sent to a special logger which in turn connects to the top-
> level-logger
> and outputs at the end of the flow?
>
> I'll appreciate any help or tips I can get in this matter!

Paul Smith
Core Engineering Manager

Aconex
The easy way to save time and money on your project

696 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9240 0200  Fax: +61 3 9240 0299
Email: psmith@aconex.com  www.aconex.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee.
The contents may be privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright or other applicable law. No confidentiality or privilege is
lost by an erroneous transmission. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please let us know by reply e-mail and delete or destroy
this mail and all copies. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in
reliance on it. The sender takes no responsibility for the effect of
this message upon the recipient's computer system.