From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTPAppender
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 04:52:35 GMT

On Jul 24, 2007, at 6:52 PM, Adrian Blakey wrote:

> Find attached an HTTPAppender. This is a RESTful appender that uses
> the Atom Publishing protocol to post a log record.

First a few process items:
Please create a Bugzilla issue and then after creating it, add the
appender as a patch.  Please replace the ASF copyright notice with
the ASF license header from http://www.apache.org/legal/src-
headers.html.  Please review the individual contributors license
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt) and consider if you satisfy
the conditions (the work is your original creation, etc).

Now for the technical:

I would suggest splitting the appender into an HTTPAppender and an
ATOMLayout.  That would allow you to reuse the appender with an RSS
or other layout.
Adding a JDOM dependency isn't desirable.  I'd do ATOMLayout using a
SAX-based XML serializer (see http://www.javazoom.net/services/
newsletter/xmlgeneration.html for an example).  I haven't tried the
JAXP 1.1's trick of using an XSLT processor as a serializer, but it
avoids adding an dependency on Xalan or Xerces.  If you don't want to
do that and just submit it as is, that would be fine.