From Paolo Scopa <paolosc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Log problem with Tomcat 5 (lots of logs)
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:45:29 GMT

Ahaaaa, i noticed now something new.
Will try to be more clear this time.

1. configured a new appender named "hive", where to redirect all hivemind
logs:

	<appender name="hive" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
		<XXparam name="File" value="HIVE.log"/>
		<XXparam name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>
		<XXparam name="Append" value="false"/>
			<XXparam name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss} %-5p
[%C] - %m%n" />
		</layout>
	</appender>

and the relative logger:

	<logger name="org.apache.hivemind">
		<level value="debug"/>
		<appender-ref ref="hive"/>
	</logger>

I noticed that now i have really tons of logs in the HIVE.log files, much
more than before.
However the hivemind messages that were in the PROD.log before are still
there.

Investigating on the difference, I notice that they all contain my
application package in the message: something like

20 Sep 2007 11:33:30 DEBUG
[org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel] - Creating
SingletonProxy for service org.my.pro.service.ProjectManager

I would not expect this message to be logged in this file, but in the
HIVE.log one, with all the other hivemind logs (and it is not there).
Do you think that this could be a log4j bug? Or an hivemind bug?

Paolo Scopa wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion.
> At the beginning i put the new common-loggings-api-1.1.jar in the bin
> folder.
> Then i realized that there was already a common-loggings-api.jar (without
> "-1.1" in the filename), so i removed the new one that i put there before.
> Now in the bin folder there is only the original common-loggings.jar in
> the bin folder.
>
> In the web-inf/lib folder there are two files now:
> commons-logging-1.1.jar and log4j-1.2.15.jar.
>
> I checked and there is no other copy of commons-logging,
> commons-logging-api or log4j of any version around.
> The only log4j.xml file is the one in my web-inf/classes folder, with the
> related log4j.dtd
> There are no log4j.properties around.
>
> Problem still there, but, as i said, now it is only limited to hivemind
> Paolo
>

> Jacob Kjome wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:12:28 -0700 (PDT)
>>   Paolo Scopa <paoloscopa@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As you see from the other post, problem is still there :(
>>> I removed the common-loggings-api-1.1.jar from bin directory (yes, a
>>> common-loggings-api.jar was already there and is still there).
>>
>> Your responses are quite confusing.  You say you removed it from the bin
>> directory AND it is still there.  Which is it???  Can you also confirm
>> that
>> you downloaded version 1.1 of commons-logging and added
>> (not commons-logging-api.jar) to WEB-INF/lib alongside log4j.jar?
>>
>> Jake
>>
>>> Nothing changed, sob
>>>
>>> Paolo

Even if