From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4j SMTPAppender Exception
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:21:10 GMT

On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:58 AM, B Reed wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a properties file set up to email me errors. I see errors in
> my web
> application log file, but apparently log4j cannot successfully
> email them to
> me. Then I see the exception below in my tomcat server log file.
>
> I am able to send emails from this web application, just not when
> via log4j
> errors.
>
> Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
>
> Here is the exception on my tomcat server log file:
>
> log4j:ERROR Error occured while sending e-mail notification.
> javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't send command to SMTP host;
>   nested exception is:
>         javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> sun.security
> .provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid
> certification path to requested target
>         at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendCommand
> (SMTPTransport.java
> :1420)
>         at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendCommand
> (SMTPTransport.java
> :1408)
>         at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.simpleCommand
> (SMTPTransport.java
> :1394)
>         at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(
> SMTPTransport.java:407)
>         at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:297)

Possibly your SMTP server has a test or invalid certificate, see
http://blogs.sun.com/andreas/entry/no_more_unable_to_find.
Definitely seems like a problem in the javamail level and not in
log4j.  log4j makes the proper request, javamail throws an exception
and log4j does the best it can with the exception.