From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Log problem with Tomcat 5 (lots of logs)
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:08:34 GMT
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:43:30 -0700 (PDT)
  Paolo Scopa <paoloscopa@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Forgotten: thanks a lot for the support.
> Agree, additivity does not change much. The funny thing is that i get all
> the logs anyway.
> The file got messed in the paste: heve to add XX to param to paste it here
> for some reason. It was:
> 		<XXparam name="File" value="PROD.log"/>
> 		<XXparam name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>
> 		<XXparam name="Append" value="false"/>
>
> The file is created and filled up with all the mess i see on console. sasme
> behaviour.
> This is the main thing i dont understand: if it was the console only i would
> presume messages comes from some other logging library, as you suggest. But
> why should that library write into my file, and change name according with
> my log4j settings?
>
> I am not sure what iu should do with commons-logging.
> at the moment there is commons-logging-api.jar in tomcat/bin and a
> commons-logging-1.0.3.jar in tomcat/shared/lib. Does this have anything to
> do? I think tomcat came like this, i dont remember changing it.

Well, you must have because Tomcat doesn't ship with anything in shared/lib.
 BTW, I would replace that with commons-logging-1.1.jar.  Many classloading
bugs have been fixed in the latest version of commons-logging.

> Should i put another copy of it in my web-inf/lib directory?

Absolutely, yes.  Anywhere log4j.jar goes, put a copy of
commons-logging-1.1.jar.  Same goes for SLF4J, if it is required by any
libraries.  Let us know if that changes anything.

Jake