From Troy Davis <t...@metaphorinteractive.com>
Subject Getting log4j.properties out of WEB-INF/classes
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:14:00 GMT
Hello,

I've been trying to get log4j to load my properties file from
somewhere other than WEB-INF/classes, mostly because eclipse clears
out this directory when I choose Project -> Clean. I've tried a few
different approaches that I found online, including this:

(inside web-app block of web.xml):

<servlet>
   <servlet-name>log4j-init</servlet-name>
   <servlet-class>com.m4.Log4jInit</servlet-class>
   <init-param>
     <param-name>log4j-init-file</param-name>
     <param-value>WEB-INF/log4j.properties</param-value>
   </init-param>
   <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

(full text of Log4jInit.java, compiled and included in a jar in WEB-
INF/lib):

package com.m4;
import org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.io.IOException;
public class Log4jInit extends HttpServlet {
   private static final long serialVersionUID = -5104057715092254401L;
   public void init() {
     String prefix =  getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
     String file = getInitParameter("log4j-init-file");
     System.out.println("Initializing log4j with " + prefix + file);
     // if the log4j-init-file is not set, then no point in trying
     if(file != null) {
       PropertyConfigurator.configure(prefix+file);
     }
   }
   public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res) {
     // Nothing happening here yet.
   }
}

I can see the debug line go by when init() is called in Log4jInit,
but I still get an error saying that log4j is not configured properly.

What is the recommended way to load this file from some other location?

Thank You,
Troy