From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] logweb-3.0 released
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:44:34 GMT

It's been very useful to me in over the years.  Glad to see the new version!

One question, though.  Does it support choosing the logger repository
to configure or does it only support the default logger repository?

In a full-stack server without, this would be very useful.  If LogWeb
is deployed as a separate application from other individual apps on
the server necessitating that the Log4j be deployed in the global
server classpath, in order for LogWeb to be able to utilize the same
Log4j instance as other apps, how does it deal with the situation
where a repository selector is being used?

What LogWeb did in the previous version was to simply configure the
default logger repository.  I'm guessing that hasn't changed (please
correct me if I'm wrong).  The problem, of course, is that without
being able to look up a logger repository to configure, a separately
deployed instance of LogWeb may be totally useless for manipulating
application logging configuration.  Only apps (or the server itself)
that utilize the default logger repository are able to be configured.

That said, I think this might require a custom repository selector
with the capability of allowing external explicit lookup of a
repository by name.  The default interface doesn't allow this
external lookup.  Rather, it uses some internal means of lookup, such
as JNDI or Classloader (the latter being discouraged because of
classloading issues it can cause).  In the case of JNDI, it would be
a particular JNDI name lookup where the value would distinguish one
logger repository from another.  Usually this is configured using an
application descriptor file, such as web.xml or ejb-jar.xml.  So,
long story short, the idea would be that LogWeb would define a custom
repository selector (along with instructions on how to configure it
for per-application logger repositories) that users would make sure
to install at server startup (there's a -D variable to do this, which
I forget ATM) and then provide, in the GUI, a place to enter the name
of logger repository to configure.

Thoughts?

Jake