From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Logging event serialization (was Re: Log4j - Invoking log4j from C++ via JNI?)
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:04:55 GMT

On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:59 AM, Maarten Bosteels wrote:

> I would much more prefer if there was a 'standard' format for
> logging events
> that could be used by log4j, logback, log4cxx, ...
>
> Something like format used by XmlSocketAppender in log4cxx but
> binary instead
> of that verbose xml, and optionally compressed on the fly.
>
> Then you could have one LogViewer application (eg Chanisaw) that
> could receive
> events from log4j, log4cxx, logback, ...
>
> Maarten

There is no technical reason that log4cxx and log4net could not
support the existing log4j binary format and it has been a long
standing enhancement in the log4cxx bug list (I believe it is
LOGCXX-7).  The log4j binary format, though not ideal, is widely
deployed relative to log4cxx and log4net.  Unfortunately, it would
take a day or two of uninterrupted time with the Java Serialization
Specs, a byte viewer and pen and paper to document the log4j binary
format and uninterrupted time has been in short supply for me and
nobody else has volunteered to do so when the topic has resurfaced
from time to time.

In a different lifetime, I looked at the relative size of custom
binary formats, XML formats, XML specific compression and generic
text compression of XML formats.  Size-wise gzipping a sane XML
format was about the same size or smaller than custom binary formats
or XML specific compression.  It would likely be more effective to
allow the user to compress the event stream than to create a new
format.