From "Preuss, Jacqueline - ENCOWAY" <Preus...@encoway.de>
Subject Problem with renaming files
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:00:09 GMT
Hi!

I read a lot about the problem we have but I didn't get a satisfied
answer for my problem. So, maybe you can help me.

The current situation is that we use a Tomcat which hosts different web
applications. Each web application has a log4j.jar in the WEB-INF/lib
directory and a logging.ecf which configures log4j and has the following
content:

log4j.rootCategory=warn, F

log4j.additivity.design.error.logger.gui=FALSE

log4j.additivity.design.script.logger.gui=FALSE

log4j.logger.design.error.logger.gui=debug

log4j.logger.design.script.logger.gui=debug

log4j.appender.F=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.F.File=${.webapp.dir}/Log/log.txt

log4j.appender.F.MaxFileSize=1MB

log4j.appender.F.MaxBackupIndex=10

log4j.appender.F.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

class="D">%p</td></tr>%n

What happens is that sometimes no backup files are created over night,
i.e. log4j seems to have problems with renaming the files and so
overwrites them. We got this exception:

log4j:ERROR Failed to rename [script_logger.txt] to
[script_logger.txt.2007-10-05]

I read that the problem may be that the current file is locked. Is that
right? How can we solve this problem? Can you help me?

Thanks,

Jacqueline.