From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Location of Log4J file in web application
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:58:37 GMT

Of course it is possible to set -D System properites using Weblogic.  You just
have to have access to the startup script, which is not guaranteed.

In any case, setting a system property does not fully solve the issue unless
there is only a single app running on the server.  When there is more than one
app, setting a single system property to point to a log file path assumes that
you want all apps using the system property to log to the same directory.  The
original request mentioned "I would prefer the log file to be under the same
folder application is installed".

In fact, I wrote a servlet context listener that does exactly this.  It
dynamically determines the path of the current webapp and sets a system
property according to a naming convention making it possible to reference this
system property in your webapp.  I know it works under Tomcat, but I can't
guarantee it will work under other appservers because I haven't tested under
other appservers.  See....

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

specifically, read the javadoc for InitContextListener...

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/log4j/log4j_sandbox/tags/LOG4J_SANDBOX_ALPHA3/src/java/org/apache/log4j/servlet/InitContextListener.java

Jake