From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: object is not assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.Layout"
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:17:17 GMT

Is the library containing your custom layout class in the same classloader as
Log4j?  For instance, did you used to package your custom layout and log4j.jar
in WEB-INF/lib, but now have removed log4j.jar from WEB-INF/lib and host it in
common/lib.  In this situation, Log4j would not be able to to use your custom
layout because it's in a classloader it can't see.  This could also occur if
you put Log4j.jar and your custom layout in common/lib and then your custom
layout also in WEB-INF/lib, but not log4j.jar.

The main thing to remember is, put any Log4j dependencies (compile or runtime)
alongside log4j.jar.  If you have log4j.jar in common/lib, then also put your
custom layout there.  If, in addition to the latter, you have either Log4j.jar
or your custom layout in WEB-INF/lib, make sure both exist there.

Jake