From "Bender Heri" <HBen...@Ergonomics.ch>
Subject RE: Advantages of using static log methods vs sub classes methods
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:54:40 GMT
I would use wrappers, if at all, only for app or module wide special loggers (like fatal error
alerting etc.), and only
- if there is a special need to do something with the log event which cannot be done using
the log4j framework
- if some special initializing of the involved appenders is needed which cannot be done through
configuration.

For debugging purpose I would recommend to use it the usual way (each class has its private
logger instance which is named after the fully qualified classname).
Advantages:
- you keep the main benefit of log4j to finetune your log output depending on classes or packages
per configuration without changing code.
- you can reuse some basic classes in other apps without to have carry over your log wrapper.
Applies also to unit testing which can be done without the need of initializing the wrapper
framework.

Disadvantages of wrapper:
- wrapper instances have to be carried all along the callstack or must be accessible in a
static way.
- Danger of unwanted dependencies (also circular) grows.

Heri