From "Phillip Mills" <pmi...@systemcore.ca>
Subject Production configuration
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:03:37 GMT
For performance reasons, I would like to disable log4j logging entirely in a
Java EE application, but I haven't stumbled on the magic formula yet.

I've taken the approach of removing appenders from the <root> category and
also tried explicit message suppression via the category priority
configuration for things that are chatty.  The result is that I don't get
output, but I am now seeing times when Category.getAppenders() is being
called and, in fact, is the stack location for a number of BLOCKED threads
(as described by a JBoss thread dump).  The offending log calls are not
explicit in our code, but rather coming from 3rd-party things like Seam and
Hibernate.

What would be the most effective way to disable logging, and especially the
locking overhead associated with finding out that there's no
place/requirement to log?