From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: where can i see the log.Debug("somemessage") ???? message
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:05:16 GMT

Did you also put commons-logging.jar (**NOT** commons-logging-api.jar) in
WEB-INF/lib alonside log4j.jar?

If you've done this and you still don't get logging, try adding to
log4j.properties...

log4j.debug=true

Or, if log4j.properties isn't being picked up at all, you could try writing a
log4j.xml file, since the latter is picked up in preference to the former.
 That is, if you had log4j.xml somewhere else on your classpath, it would be
used in preference to you log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes.  Putting
log4j.xml in WEB-INF/classes would guaranteee that it would be used rather
than some rogue one elsewhere on the classpath.

Or, you can add the following to the command line that starts Tomcat....

-Dlog4j.debug=true

Jake

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:00:21 -0800 (PST)
  msg2ajay <msg2ajay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it is a webapp. I have placed in the the runtime classpath. When
> compilation completes it is successfully comming to the
> /classes/log4j.properties
>
> - i suspect that may i need to configure in web.xml or do i need to write
> log4j.xml file?
>

> Jacob Kjome wrote:
>>

>> You are running a webapp, right?  "/src" is not a standard directory that
>> gets put
>> on the classpath.  I'm asking you if it's in the runtime classpath, not in
>> your
>> compile-time source path.
>>
>> Jake
>>
>> msg2ajay wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>>        I have placed in the /src folder.
>>>
>>> [CODE]
>>> log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
>>> log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout