From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adapting log4j to IBM J9 JVM
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:09:20 GMT

On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Robert Dodier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to run a program which uses log4j 1.2.9 on
> the IBM J9 JVM. Unfortunately J9 doesn't include java.beans.*
> and log4j makes use of a few java.beans classes (BeanInfo and
> a few others).
>
> I've tried a few things. (1) I looked at the log4j source code to
> see how much trouble it would be to expunge the java.beans.*
> references. Looks like it would be some work to replace it.
> (2) Attempted to compile the java.beans classes from another
> JVM (namely Classpath). Failed to compile -- references to
> other Classpath-specific stuff outside of beans. Rats.
>
> I guess reimplementing the log4j classes (just to provide
> empty placeholders would be enough to get the program running)
> is an option too but I haven't done that yet.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has gotten log4j + J9 working and if so
> I wonder how it was accomplished.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Robert Dodier

First of all, do you have a hard requirement to be able to compile on
the J9 JVM?  Even if you do, you could start with log4j.jar from the
release and as long as you avoided any code that used the java.beans
classes, you would avoid the dreaded ClassNotFoundException.

Looking at the references, it appears that the most significant and
hardest to avoid usage of java.beans classes would be in
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter which in turn is used by
PropertyConfigurator and DOMConfigurator.  Without the java.beans
classes available, it looks like you could still use log4j as long as
you explicitly configured log4j with API calls and did not attempt to
configure from .properties or .xml files.

I found a lot of references to J9 in a search, but none of them seemed
like a definitive home page for the JVM.   Could you suggest one?