From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: App server session recovery configures log4j too early
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:43:48 GMT

Take the Log4j config file that depends on setting up system properties out of
your classpath.  Put a dummy file in the classpath that does nothing more than set
the root logger to "OFF"....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://logging.apache.org/log4j/" debug="false"
threshold="debug">
     <root>
         <level value="off"/>
     </root>
</log4j:configuration>

Put your real Log4j config file under something like WEB-INF/ and run configure()
when desired.

BTW, this also prevents your app from autoconfiguring itself using a config file
found in the parent classloader.  It guarantees that your dummy file will be used
for auto configuration.

Jake