From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Help needed with log4j used with JBOSS server
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:26:27 GMT

First, last I heard, JBoss uses single uber-classloader.  The log4j.jar in
your own application won't be used if it's already been loaded by JBoss as a
server library.  Even if single classloader concept wasn't used, unless JBoss
allowed you to configure your webapps to use child-first classloading
behavior, you can't expect your copy of log4j.jar in WEB-INF/lib to be used.

Since it's pretty clear that the server-provided log4j.jar is being used and
we know that log4j, by default, loads the first log4j.xml or log4j.properties
(in that order) that it finds at the first use of LogManager.class, you are
correct in thinking that some other log4j configuration file is being used....
at least initially.

Furthermore, from what I remember, JBoss sets it's own logger repository
selector to separate application logging (and server logging).  So, even if
you see logs showing up in JBoss's configured areas, this might only apply to
the logger repository that the JBoss server is using, not individual
applications running under JBoss.

That said, I'm not sure why you don't see creation of your log file?  Your
properties file wasn't atached to the message (I think the list strips
attachments).  Just paste it as text in the message next time.  When you run
configure(), it should be configuring the logger repository assigned to your
application (again, assuming JBoss is, indeed, setting the repository selector
at startup).  And you shouldn't be calling configure() more than once in the
entirety of your running application, unless you really understand what your
are doing and mean to do it.  That doesn't appear to be the case here.

One thing to check is that the directory you want your log file to appear is
has been created.  Log4j won't do that for you.  If the directory doesn't
exist, your log file won't exist.  In any case, paste your config and give us
more info on what JBoss is doing as far as setting repository selectors and
whatnot.   I am not an expert in JBoss (haven't used it for years), so take
what I say about it with a grain of salt.

Jake