From Clinton Weiss <clinton.we...@custdata.com>
Subject Converting Legacy application to use log4j
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:08:16 GMT
I'm seeking some advice here.  I have a legacy application with it's own
built in logging system accessed via Common.status(String) and
Common.debug(String).  The status method is used to update the
application GUI's status line so the user has some idea of what is going
on, it also emits the String to System.out.  The debug message just
emits the String to System.out.

Now, I'd like to replace this setup with log4j, however, the pitfall is
how do I still let the user know what is going on?  I believe I have a
couple of choices here:

1) Import log4j only in the Common class, and still allow all code to
call the status() and debug().  When status or debug are called, it will
inspect the current thread to see which class to pass to the logger and
create (or use a mapped) logger accordingly.  This would probably be the
easiest, but not the correct way of doing it.
2) Replace all Common.status(String) and Common.debug(String) calls with
logger.info(String) and logger.debug(String).  However, can I create a
class that will listen for logger.info(String) calls and then can update
the GUI's status accordingly?  This, I presume, would be the correct way
of doing it - if it is at all possible.
3) Of course, you might have a better approach that I haven't thought of
yet.

This in-house-only application has a pluggable architecture that accepts
three different types of Interface classes, which is why there is a
single place for logging.  When I wrote it three years ago I was still
very early in Java and hadn't learned of the tools available to me just
yet.  Lately, I've been planning an overhaul of this application and
implementing log4j is a high priority.  All existing plugins are kept in
a central repository, therefore updating them to the new logging
mechanism, if necessary, will be easy.

Any ideas?
Clinton
--

	Clinton V. Weiss
Programming Services
Phone: 586-752-9671 Ext 143
Fax: 586-752-6589
www.custdata.com <http://www.custdata.com>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email contains information from the sender
that may be CONFIDENTIAL, LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY or otherwise
protected from disclosure. This email is intended for use only by the
person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, printing, or any
action taken in reliance on the contents of this email, is strictly
prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the
sending party by replying in an email to the sender, delete the email
from your computer system and shred any paper copies of the email you
printed.