From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Everybody's logging but me
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:24:46 GMT
I'd suggest starting by adding 'log4j.debug=true' to your
configuration file (or as a system property).  You may be surprised to
see something reconfiguring behind your back.

cheers,

Paul
On 12/03/2008, at 8:08 PM, Jérôme Pramondon wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm currently facing a problem I've never experienced before on any
> other
> applications that we here have developped with log4j. I'm a but
> confused so
> I thought I'll share with everybody just in case someone have
> already faced
> similar problems.
> Here's what I've got :
>
> - a J2EE application developped with Eclipse 3.3 and Tomcat 5.5 (the
> latter
> is launched manually in a shell) and using Struts 1.X and Hibernate
> 3. Not
> very inovative, but working well.
> - a log4j.properties file in my application WAR in WEB-INF/classes.
> Again
> pretty standard configuration.
> - a problem : every embended jar of the application (including Struts,
> Hibernate, Commons-*, ...) are logging depending on what is in the
> log4j
> file (I've tried several restrictions on packages and it's always
> working,
> prooving my log4j file is read somehow). But when I try to do a
> log.debug("my
> message"), nothing happens. It's doens't show in any of the appenders.
> Any idea to help ?
>
> Thanks a lots for your time,
>
> Jerome
>
> By the way, here's the content of the log4j file :
> log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=[%5p] %d{mm:ss}
> (%F:%M:%L)%n%m%n%n
>
> log4j.appender.file=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
> log4j.appender.file.maxFileSize=5000KB
> log4j.appender.file.maxBackupIndex=10
> log4j.appender.file.File=${catalina.base}/logs/teambox.log
> log4j.appender.file.threshold=debug
> log4j.appender.file.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.file.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:
> %L -
> %m%n
>
> log4j.logger.org.apache=WARN
> log4j.logger.org.apache.struts.action=DEBUG
>
> log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, stdout, file

Paul Smith
Core Engineering Manager

Aconex
The easy way to save time and money on your project

696 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9240 0200  Fax: +61 3 9240 0299
Email: psmith@aconex.com  www.aconex.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee.
The contents may be privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright or other applicable law. No confidentiality or privilege is
lost by an erroneous transmission. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please let us know by reply e-mail and delete or destroy this
mail and all copies. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance
on it. The sender takes no responsibility for the effect of this
message upon the recipient's computer system.