From stevenmma...@gmail.com
Subject Re: WARN Unrecognized element plugin (JULReceiver)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:43:22 GMT
STOP

-----Original Message-----
From: Kapil Anand <kapil_an@yahoo.com>

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:30:51
To:log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: WARN Unrecognized element plugin (JULReceiver)

Resending after log4j mailing list registration, sorry if it is duplicate:

I am trying to use JUL Receiver with log4j 1.2.15
I have following on classpath:
apache-jul-log4j-bridge-1.0.0-20071030.022816-5.jar
apache-log4j-component-1.0-20080219.044246-2.jar
log4j-1.2.15.jar
apache-log4j-extras-1.0.jar

log4j.xml defines the plugin after declaring the appenders and before
declaring the loggers:
<plugin name="julreceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.jul.JULReceiver" />

Another strange thing is, when I switched from category to logger element, I
see following warning as well:
log4j:WARN The content of element type "logger" must match
"(level?,appender-ref*)".
I have level element defined in each logger but appender-ref is missing,
since all will use the ref of root logger.

In the main class of the app I also added code suggested in another post:

public class RunMySpringApp
{
	private static final Object repositorySelectorGuard = new Object();
	private static final LoggerRepositoryExImpl repositoryExImpl =
		new LoggerRepositoryExImpl(LogManager.getLoggerRepository());

	public static void main(String[] args)
	{
		// HACK FOR log4j plugins to work
		RepositorySelector repositorySelector = new RepositorySelector()
		{
			public LoggerRepository getLoggerRepository()
			{
		             return repositoryExImpl;
			}
		};

		LogManager.setRepositorySelector(repositorySelector,
										repositorySelectorGuard);

		RunSpringApp.main(args);
	}

But I still get the WARN and all JUL logs show up on stderr/stdout in the
default INFO level. (the default behavior of JUL in absence of any JUL
config). Any help will be appreciated.

Also:
Could anyone please point me to some documentation or sample xml code that
provides help on how to use JULReceiver? Would defining a top level for the
JUL based classes redirect all it's children to log4j?

thanks