From "Maarten Bosteels" <mbosteels....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suppressing stacktrace output
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:15:50 GMT
see
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/Layout.html#ignoresThrowable()

"If the layout handles the throwable object contained within LoggingEvent,
then the layout should return false. Otherwise, if the layout ignores
throwable object, then the layout should return true. The SimpleLayout,
TTCCLayout, PatternLayout all return true. The XMLLayout returns false."

For appenders that extend WriterAppender, the stacktrace will be appended by
the WriterAppender
when the layout ignores the throwable.

see
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/xref/org/apache/log4j/WriterAppender.html#300

So I guess you could extend ConsoleAppender and override subAppend.

regards,
Maarten