From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw Tab identifier
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:49:48 GMT
log4j 1.3 is abandoned - the useful bits were (mostly) backported to
log4j  1.2.15 with a few 'companion' downloads providing the non-core
functionality added to 1.3.

There are a few caveats:
- Chainsaw V2 trunk (built against log4j 1.2.15) has not yet been
released.  Once it is released, location info will work again.
-  The version of Chainsaw available via web start is based on log4j
1.3, so location info won't work
- The component, receivers and zeroconf 'companions' have not yet been
officially released - the 'extras' companion has been officially
released (meaning any not-yet-released companions need to be built from
source..)

Since Chainsaw V2 built against log4j 1.2.15 (along with the receivers
and other companions) have yet to be officially released, it's a pain to
build Chainsaw on the trunk (maven dependencies on snapshots...ug).

As for compatibility between log4j 1.2.15 (and Chainsaw V2) and prior
versions, Chainsaw V2 should work fine with log4j 1.2.9 (including
support for location info).

Everything we wanted to keep -should- already be backported to log4j
1.2.15 + companions..the sockethubappender buffer issue is one that was
missed..

Once everything is released, it'll be a lot easier to build from
sources.

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer
COMOTIV SYSTEMS