From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: chainsaw 'sftp:/host/file.xml' is not a valid URL
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:18:25 GMT
Correction!

This won't work in your case because you're trying to load an -XML- file over VFS, and we
haven't written a receiver to do that - only regular text files are currently supported.

There is a LogFileXMLReceiver (in receivers companion) that will do the same thing that the
menu item will do, but we don't yet have a VFSLogFileXMLReceiver.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Deboy [mailto:sdeboy@comotivsystems.com]
Sent: Thu 3/27/2008 1:15 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: chainsaw 'sftp:/host/file.xml' is not a valid URL

You can't use
File | Load Remote log4j file
to load a VFS-accessible file..you have to add a 'plugin' section to your chainsaw log4j.xml,
or specify the receiver through the (clunky) receivers panel in the UI itself.

If you go to the Welcome tab, click on the 'view example receiver configuration' button and
copy this file, remove all the plugins except the VFSLogFilePatternReceiverWithUserInfoPrompt
plugin and change the values to match your environment.

Save the file off, make sure the URL to the chainsaw xml config file is specified in the 'automatic
configuration URL' field in the 'view/show application-wide preferences' screen, then restart
Chainsaw.  When Chainsaw starts, you should be prompted for the username and password needed
to load the file.