From "Lilianne E. Blaze" <lilianne_bl...@tlen.pl>
Subject Re: HeaderPatternLayout - feedback / review needed
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 04:24:51 GMT
Jacob Kjome wrote:
> Seems useful.  Just a few questions....
>
> When Append="true" I presume the header will get written again, right?  So, it

Basically, yes.
> wouldn't just exist on the first line of the log file, but on the first line of
> logging per appender configuration pointing at a given log file.  Also, in the
> example, you don't use HeaderPattern.  I guess there's a default provided, given
> the output after the FirstLine and SecondLine info?

Check the test source. I guess it might be a bit unclear. HeaderPattern
is not used to generate the text header, which (except for FirstLine /
SecondLine) is unmodifiable, but it's like a second ConversionPattern
used only for header lines. If you skip it you get the header info as a
fake event generated by current thread by logger "na" (for not
applicable), which of course makes little sense, but gives complete
compatibility with any parsers which expect a normal PatternLayout output.

> BTW, are you looking to include this in the official Log4j project (either in the
> main jar or extras companion)?  I'm not saying you should or should not.  Just

I'd prefer to get more feedback first, but yes, I wouldn't mind it
getting included once it's more or less stable.

> curious.  If so, one issue might be the dependency on "Debug String Utils" and
> "Container Detector" projects.

Half the functionality is in them, so they can't be removed. Of course
they can be repackaged, etc, as needed.

Greetings, Lilianne