From Johannes Hoechstaedter <j.hoechstaed...@memocomp.de>
Subject Re: JDBCAppender configuration
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 06:19:25 GMT
Michael Erskine schrieb:
>> The JDBCAppender is shoddy anyhow - write yourself a replacement. It's a
>> great way to learn about what makes a good Appender.
>>

> To follow up: what I tend to do is have a custom JDBC Appender that adds a small custom
log entry object (with all interesting info from the LoggingEvent) to a limited sized BlockingDeque
and immediately returns. I have a background daemon thread that waits on the queue and adds
the info to the logging database. I have a simple Connection test and failure recovery mechanism
and I've hooked in a simple "purge" statement that can be run every few hours to limit the
size of the log table, and some magic configuration entries so I can do some cool things inside
activateOptions().

> I'd post the classes if I wasn't developing proprietary software under NDA (and it wasn't
so specific to my projects), but it's pretty simple stuff -- I learned most of how Log4J works
by stepping through the source in Eclipse.

> Regards,
> Michael Erskine.

Thank you Michael, thats the way I went, too, and it works.

cheers
Johannes