From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Question for CustomSQLDBReceiver
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 19:50:47 GMT
How to use CustomSQLDBReceiver:

1. create a $userhome/.chainsaw/plugins folder
2. copy your jdbc driver to the plugins folder
3. the Chainsaw downloads page links to an 'inportant distribution notes' link for more info
about extended features - go there and follow the instructions for what you're trying to do
(db extensions)
4. create a chainsaw xml config file containing a customsqldbreceiver section
4a. make sure to follow the directions in the class javadoc for the receiver for setting up
the 'sql' param (read: all fields must be aliased!!)
5. change Chainsaw's 'automatic configuration url' to the URL of the chainsaw xml config file
(view-show application wide preferences menu)
7. you may need to check the 'ok to remove security manager' checkbox as well (on the same
prefs screen)
8. restart Chainsaw

You should have a receiver defined in the receivers panel.  If you don't, you haven't got
the URL entered correctly in the application-wide prefs screen, or the chainsaw XML config
isn't defining the receiver configuration correctly (see an example of a receiver config on
the Welcome tab's 'view example receiver configuration' button).  If you can't figure this
out, turn on your java console, pre-configuration Chainsaw logging goes there.

If you don't get a new tab containing your db's events, examine Chainsaw's own logging in
the chainsaw-log tab - it should explain what the problem is.

If you still have problems, feel free to email the list.

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201