From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ChainSaw - accessing a file on a VM
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:04:35 GMT

On Aug 14, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Mehyar Badii wrote:

> :-) Yes, all 5 are needed when using FireFox and also in ChainSaw.
> Internet
> Explorer and Windows Explorer do with 2!
> I tried your suggestion (no passwords) and no success. Any other
> suggestions?
> Best regards,
> Mehyar

What you are looking at apparently is the representation of a UNC path
name as represented as a file: URL.  A file URL has the form:

file://host/path

Most commonly the host is not specified, so you commonly see:

file:///path

A UNC path looks like:

\\share-name\path

Combine them together, you get:

file://///share-name/path

As far as I can tell, there is no mechanism to specify user name and
password on a UNC.  However if you could find one, then if you
embedded it in the URL it might work.

More details on the file: URL scheme on Windows can be found at http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/12/06/file-uris-in-windows.aspx

.  It suggests that:

file://share-name/path

However, the blog entry says that IE ignores the username and password
portions of the URL.  However, you could give:

file://username:password@share-name/path

and maybe the Java URL handler on Windows does process the user name
and password.

Looks like you'd be better off using the shared folders capabilities
of your VM software and access the log file with a local path name.