From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: ConsoleAppender and closing an SSH session
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 04:58:36 GMT

> Well I'm not convinced that this is completely unrelated to log4j.
> This set of apps has run for 8 years in one form or another and has
> been scripted to survive a logout. Now, with no changes except the
> introduction of log4j, the behavior has changed.

In your configuration example, you're using ConsoleAppender and a
file.  By default Console appender will just write to System.out print
stream which is exactly what System.out.println() does, and the
FileAppender is really pretty basic, I can't explain how log4j would
affect the stability of the process..  Log4j has been in use for
nearly as long as your app, so I'd be very surprised if log4j was
proved to be the culprit.

Are you sure some operating system upgrade or configuration on the
host itself has not enforced some process conditions that weren't
there before?

> In any case, I appreciate the pointer to screen. I will check it out.

couldn't live without 'screen'.  one of the best pointers a sysadmin
ever showed me (that and an awful lot of awk/sed).

Paul