From "Paul Pepper" <sip.sni...@gmail.com>
Subject log settings an administrator's job?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:45:55 GMT
Placing log4j settings in the log4j.properties (or log4j.xml) file
under WEB-INFO/classes effectively requires the developer to configure
logging - e.g. unexploded war files. Shouldn't it be the job of the
system admin who deploys the application to configure things like log
file location? Or have I missed something?

I would like to give the system admin the ability to set the location
of the log4j log file in my applications (as with access log info when
a sys admin can use org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve in
Tomcat's server.xml). The server.xml (or context.xml) seems like the
right place to set the location of the log4j log file - maybe as a
JNDI string resource.

Can anyone suggest a way of giving system administrators the means of
setting log4j configuration settings? Or, can anyone explain why this
would be a bad idea?

Thanks,

Paul.