From Jeff <jlar...@gmail.com>
Subject ConsoleAppender and closing an SSH session
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2008 03:51:13 GMT
I just converted some apps to log4j 1.2.15. The log4j config creates a
ConsoleAppender and a FileAppender as follows.

log4j.rootLogger=INFO,CONSOLE,WIPATH

log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%c{1}] %m%n

log4j.appender.WIPATH=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.WIPATH.File=/path/to/log/wipath.log
log4j.appender.WIPATH.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.WIPATH.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%c{1}] %m%n

Normally these apps are launched from a serially connected character
terminal (think Wyse 50). The logging to console is there to make
non-techie users feel good and know that the application is running.

But if for some reason, I need to start the app from an SSH session
(putty), the application sometimes dies after I log out. Sometimes
right away, sometimes after some time has passed. Nothing about
interesting is written to the log file. Normally the app makes log
entries when it shuts down cleanly. The process is just gone. This did
not happen prior to implementing log4j. Previously, the app wrote to a
pre-configured file and to System.out. Closing an SSH session had no
ill effects.

OS is Linux, CentOS 4.6 32 bit under VMware Server 1.0.x. JRE is Sun
1.6.0_05-b13. There is no X display system installed.

I googled this without success. I'm hoping someone here has a clue for me.

--
Jeff