From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Future of JULI<->Log4j bridging
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 04:57:55 GMT
wow!  cool!  this is great news to hear.  Now we have 2 users! :)

If you're interested in trialing things one day, look out for Pinpoint
(currently an Apache Lab).  It's for log data mining.  centralised log
repository with full text indexing and reporting.  I'm right in the
middle of a load test for it as we speak (soaking events from 2 hosts,
at 100 events/second, this is a Mercury load test of our actual
application running realistic production loads).   Unfortunately
there's no real UI for actually doing the searching as yet, but the
indexing side is working very well.

cheers,

Paul

On 03/09/2008, at 2:20 PM, Brett Randall wrote:

> Thanks - all good and working for now.  Bridge version
> apache-jul-log4j-bridge-1.0.0-20071030.02281 appears to work well.
>
> Using Spring Framework, I can actually bootstrap the bridge during the
> Spring context load using this:
>
>    <bean id="jul-log4j-bridge"
> class
> ="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.MethodInvokingFactoryBean">
>        <property name="staticMethod">
>
> <value>org.apache.logging.julbridge.JULLog4jBridge.assimilate</value>
>        </property>
>    </bean>
>
> ... which I think is nice.  No reference or dependency on the
> jul-log4j-bridge in my code, deploy-time replacement of JUL backend
> with
> log4j.  Then I can even plug-in Chainsaw:
>
> (log4j.xml)
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd" >
> <log4j:configuration>
>
>    <appender name="console" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
>        <param name="Target" value="System.out" />
>        <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d [%t] %-5p %c -
> %m%n"
> />
>        </layout>
>    </appender>
>
>    <appender name="chainsaw"
> class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender">
>        <param name="remoteHost" value="localhost" />
>        <param name="port" value="4445" />
>        <param name="locationInfo" value="true" />
>    </appender>
>
>    <root>
>        <priority value="debug" />
>        <appender-ref ref="console" />
>        <appender-ref ref="chainsaw" />
>    </root>
>
> </log4j:configuration>
>
> Very happy - thank you for contributing this code.
>
> Cheers
> Brett

Paul Smith
Core Engineering Manager

Aconex
The easy way to save time and money on your project

696 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9240 0200  Fax: +61 3 9240 0299
Email: psmith@aconex.com  www.aconex.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee.
The contents may be privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright or other applicable law. No confidentiality or privilege is
lost by an erroneous transmission. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please let us know by reply e-mail and delete or destroy this
mail and all copies. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance
on it. The sender takes no responsibility for the effect of this
message upon the recipient's computer system.