From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Future of JULI<->Log4j bridging
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 02:28:35 GMT

On 03/09/2008, at 12:21 PM, Brett Randall wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering what folks are using when they find they want to
> bridge an
> application built with JULI logging to use a log4j logging backend.
>
> I'm aware of
> http://people.apache.org/~psmith/logging.apache.org/sandbox/jul-log4j-bridge/
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epsmith/logging.apache.org/sandbox/jul-log4j-bridge/
> >,
> but it's in the sandbox and there's not a lot of detail on
> status/roadmap.  Has anyone used this, or are there accepted
> alternatives?

the jul-log4j-bridge has not been released yet because most of the
effort has been towards the log4j 1.2.16 and other sub-modules
(receivers, zeroconf). As the sole developer of the bridge, I think
it's feature complete, and there was at least one user I know of who's
used it.  Whether they're still using it, or if there are others using
it I can't say as I haven't had any reports.

Obviously I'd love to have feedback on it out in the wild as this
would give us  impetus to go through a formal release.  Bit of a
chicken/egg problem there though.  If you're up for giving it a shot,
let me know and I'll support you through the way (it would be a good
test of the documentation... (you'd need to generate that via 'mvn
site' locally though, since it's not released, there's no public
website for it as yet - if that's a burden, I can generate a site here
myself and zip it up for you if you like).

cheers,

Paul Smith