From "Poythress, Lynn" <apoyt...@skymail.csus.edu>
Subject RE: installing chainsaw on redhat linux box
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:04:57 GMT
OK,

I removed my /usr/local/bin/chainsaw directory and everything underneath it.  I renamed the
chainsaw.sh in /usr/local/etc.  I put the comments back in the log4j.properties file.  Essentially,
I'm starting from scratch.

I did just as you did.  I downloaded the chainsaw-bundle.zip file.  I placed it in my /usr/local/bin/chainsaw
directory.  I unzipped it.  I did a chmod +x chainsaw.sh (which I kept in the /usr/local/bin
directory).  I tried to run it - ./chainsaw.sh.  The screen print below is what I get - no
GUI at all.

I have no .chainsaw directory.  It did not get created on my linux box, when I unzipped the
chainsaw-bundle.zip file.
/usr/local/bin/chainsaw is in my CLASSPATH
My PC IP address is set in the DISPLAY variable - xxx.xx.xx.xxx:0
Do I need to uncomment the log4j.properties file?  Do I need to change the CHAINSAW_CLIENT
variable to something else?
Do I need to put rest of the jar files (VFS, etc) back in /usr/local/bin/chainsaw?
What am I missing?  AAAGH!

Thanks,
Lynn Poythress

[root@webcttnb chainsaw]# ./chainsaw.sh
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: while resolving class
: com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.
5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ApplicationPreferenceModelSaver.loadSettings(org
.apache.log4j.chainsaw.prefs.LoadSettingsEvent) (Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.prefs.SettingsManager.configure(org.apache.log4j
.chainsaw.prefs.SettingsListener) (Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI.main(java.lang.String[]) (Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFa
ctory not found in [file:jakarta-oro-2.0.6.jar, file:jmdns.jar, file:log4j-1.3al
pha-7.jar, file:log4j-chainsaw-2.0alpha-1.jar, file:log4j-optional-1.3alpha-7.ja
r, file:log4j-oro-1.3alpha-7.jar, file:log4j-smtp-1.3alpha-7.jar, file:log4j-xml
-1.3alpha-7.jar, file:log4j-zeroconf.jar, file:xstream-1.1.2.jar, file:/usr/shar
e/java/libgcj-3.4.6.jar, file:./, core:/]
   at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.
0.0)
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.findClass(java.lang.String) (/usr/lib/libgcj
.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean) (/usr/lib/libgc
j.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(java.lang.String, boolean, java.lang.ClassLoader)
(/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.type.compatible(_Jv_BytecodeVerifier.type&, _Jv_Bytec
odeVerifier) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_BytecodeVerifier.verify_instructions_0() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_VerifyMethod(_Jv_InterpMethod) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_PrepareClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_WaitForState(java.lang.Class, int) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.linkClass0(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.
0.0)
   at java.lang.VMClassLoader.resolveClass(java.lang.Class) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.
5.0.0)
   ...4 more
[root@webcttnb chainsaw]#