From Johan Sandgren <...@svep.se>
Subject Dual logging problem - outofmemoryerror... heap space
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:20:00 GMT

Hi,

Need advice from professionals here... I'm stuck! :(

I'm using log4j, and my logs are rotating quite fast, so if an error occurs, for example in
the middle of the night, it will not be present in the log in the morning when I arrive to
check for errors.

So I decided to extract the errors live, when they occur, and make them go to another file.
But since errors just on their own does not say much of where the program were and what was
the variables right then, I'd also like to attach some history before the error in the error.log-file.

So I wrote a class to support this feature. It's a spy really. It's attaching to an existing
logger, and adding another appender, which I use to create history and outputting to another
error.log-file when I need to.

A little more details on the spyclass are:

I'm calling my usual logger X, and I've created another loggerclass Y, which attaches another
appender on my X.

For each logger call with X, I also call my Y which is getting the string too, because it's
snooping on X, via this appender I added. Y is also keeping a circularbuffer of history of
all logging it gets.
When Y is called with error, fatal or warn, it will do a dump of the history and lastly, the
erranous line, and all this to another file, error.log.

That way I will get my usual log in blabla.log, and for each warn, error /fatal, I get a few
lines of history + the error/warn/fatal-line that is to be noticed.

My problem:
BUT, I get out of heapmemory when using it after a while.
I cannot find the error causing it. Mayber I'm misusing the appender or log4j?

I've attached the historymaking class "ErrorLogger.java", and an example (test.java) of how
the calls are made.

Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.java:99)
        at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:393)
        at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:225)
        at java.io.StringWriter.write(StringWriter.java:79)
        at org.apache.log4j.helpers.QuietWriter.write(QuietWriter.java:47)
        at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(WriterAppender.java:301)
        at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.append(WriterAppender.java:159)
        at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:230)
        at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:65)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:203)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:388)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.debug(Category.java:257)

        at com.sttcare.alarmSwitch.JmsTester.activeMqIsUp(JmsTester.java:88) calls connection.stop();
So it really has nothing with log4j, I guess the heap is just ended right then.

        at com.sttcare.alarmSwitch.systemWatch.ProgramChecker.activeMQWorks(ProgramChecker.java:143)
        at com.sttcare.alarmSwitch.systemWatch.ProgramChecker.run(ProgramChecker.java:119)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Seems to me something is exandCapacity too much...

/Johan

Johan Sandgren
Svep Design Center AB
Phone +46 46 192 722