From "Bender Heri" <HBen...@Ergonomics.ch>
Subject AW: [SPAM (Bayesain Analysis)] - Repository selectors, useful? - Bayesian Filter detected spam
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:06:27 GMT
Hallo Ceki

I found log4j's RepositorySelector very useful, I think I would not have been able to solved
my problem without it.

I use it in a System which is designed to maintain different customers. A single customer
should never see any data (or even know about the existence) of other customers. So I needed
to separate also all logs. One core application is a scheduler app which maintains different
jobs which run at regular intervals (configured for each customer and job kind). The jobs
make heavy use of common libraries (in fact most of the work is done within these libraries,
which make a lot of log outputs). This log outputs should never mix between customers and
jobs.

Such a job is running in its own thread. Therefore I can use the MDC which is feeded at every
thread start with infos about the current job and the current customer. This info is then
used by the repository selector for choosing the correct repository (where file appenders
are defined with filenames and storage locations mirroring these MDC infos).

Maybe your new logback has other useful constructs to solve such a problem. Using Log4j's
RepositorySelector was a bit hard to understand at the beginning, specially the need for having
special logging code (MDC, configuring the file appenders) at every thread start (was a bit
complex in combination with a thread pooling). I wished that such things could be done only
by configuration. More problems: Logger instances in library classes cannot be instantiated
statically, and utility classes with static methods and other singletons must fetch the logger
on each method entry (I had to disable log outputs from third party libraries which do not
obey such circumstances).

Greetings
Heri Bender