From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Repository selectors, useful?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:36:11 GMT
Hi Ceki,

Can you please explain your change of heart first?  I'll take a guess as to your
skepticism...

1.  Very little built in support, making repository selectors generally a custom
solution, which inhibits widespread use.  This can be easily addressed.

2.  The use of static loggers as well as logger abstractions such as
commons-logging and SLF4J (unless you use an implementation that directly extends
SLF4J, such as Logback) break respository selectors anyway.

3.  Even implementations that purport to support respository selectors fail to
truly support them in practice as evidenced by the fact that Logback - having been
in full release for a good while - is just now being fixed to properly support them.

4.  A common deployment model these days is one app per/server.  In this case,
separating logging between applications is unnecessary because there is only one
application.

That said, there's plenty of evidence, based on a quick search of the
Log4j-user/dev mailing lists, that repository selectors are useful.  In some
cases, they are used to separate logging by some runtime attribute, such as IP
address or thread, not just per/application (classloader or JNDI context).  As
such, choosing not to support the concept would disenfranchise a small, but
nonetheless important, user base.

Jake