From Ceki Gulcu <lis...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Repository selectors, useful?
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:56:02 GMT

Thanks for your response. Comments inline.

Jacob Kjome wrote:
> Hi Ceki,
>
> Can you please explain your change of heart first?  I'll take a guess as to your
> skepticism...

> 1.  Very little built in support, making repository selectors generally a custom
> solution, which inhibits widespread use.  This can be easily addressed.

What do you mean by "very little built in support"? Do you mean in log4j or in
application containers. If the latter, then this cannot be easily addressed.

> 2.  The use of static loggers as well as logger abstractions such as
> commons-logging and SLF4J (unless you use an implementation that directly extends
> SLF4J, such as Logback) break respository selectors anyway.

True.

> 3.  Even implementations that purport to support respository selectors fail to
> truly support them in practice as evidenced by the fact that Logback - having been
> in full release for a good while - is just now being fixed to properly support them.

The problem was actually in SLF4J.

> 4.  A common deployment model these days is one app per/server.  In this case,
> separating logging between applications is unnecessary because there is only one
> application.

There are plenty of servers containing multiple applications. In such cases,
separation of logging can be accomplished by embedding a copy of log4j.jar in
the application itself.

> That said, there's plenty of evidence, based on a quick search of the
> Log4j-user/dev mailing lists, that repository selectors are useful.  In some
> cases, they are used to separate logging by some runtime attribute, such as IP
> address or thread, not just per/application (classloader or JNDI context).  As
> such, choosing not to support the concept would disenfranchise a small, but
> nonetheless important, user base.

I agree, although the same functionality can be addressed by simpler means.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch