From dhallammail-lo...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: Problems with rollover of RollingFileAppender - data loss
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 21:47:50 GMT
Thanks for your replies.  I was trying to avoid having another dependency in the system by
having an external server.  Also, should that server go down, the logs will be lost as the
appender will just ditch the messages that it can't send so it doesn't block the application
- and we don't want to lose data - it has to be reliable.

I'll try the -Dlog4j.debug property and see what I can get out of it and try and create a
standalone test harness to do it.

Many thanks,

Dave

________________________________
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderaxiom@gmail.com>
To: Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, 17 November, 2008 12:11:01
Subject: Re: Problems with rollover of RollingFileAppender - data loss

dhallammail-log4j@yahoo.com skrev  den 16-11-2008 23:47:
> The problem that I have encountered is that I have observed that sometimes the log files
are getting partially wiped.  I am putting this down to the fact that the JVM might be shutting
down whilst the rolling activity is taking place - resulting in partially rolled files.  I
have tried adding a shutdown
The rolling happens by renaming current files, not by copying contents from one file to another.
 (See RollingFileAppender.rollOver() for code).

To me this sounds like that the log file is not properly closed when the application shuts
down.

An idea might be running the application with the "log.debug" property set, so you can see
what is actually happening (this means you need to save the console output somewhere)?  The
suggested approach with doing socket appends might also be quite usable for you.

/Thorbjørn