From "Maarten Bosteels" <mbosteels....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to log ip addresses?
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:13:44 GMT
 Hi,

I don't know uPortal, but I you can probably do something like this:

* at the start of every request, retrieve the user's IP addess and put it in
the MDC
* in your log4j.properties specify a PatternLayout that outputs the MDC,
something like %X{IP}
* at the end of the request remove the IP from the MDC

see
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/PatternLayout.html
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/MDC.html

Maarten