From "Jakob Homan" <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Setting arbitrary substitution values in log4j.xml?
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:45:40 GMT
I'm converting our project's log4j.properties to the log4j.xml in
order to take advantage of the automatic rolling compression.
Previously, we had lines such as:

ourapp.log.dir=.
ourapp.log.file= ourapp.log

Which were then substituted later on in such lines as
log4j.appender.DRFA.File=${ourapp.log.dir}/${ourapp.log.file}

This allowed us to use the default values defined in the
log4j.properties file or to redefine them at run time.

My question is: how do I accomplish this within the log4j.xml?  I
can't find anywhere in the DTD for defining arbitrary values.  It
seems to work defining them as params within the root element, but it
generates the following warning:
log4j:WARN No such property [ourapp.log.dir] in org.apache.log4j.spi.RootLogger.
log4j:WARN No such property [ourapp.log.file] in
org.apache.log4j.spi.RootLogger.

Can I find out if this is the correct way of doing this, and if so,
how I can turn off that warning, or can I find the correct way to do
this within log4j.xml?

Thanks,
Jakob Homan