From Chance Yeoman <cyeo...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Separating Configuration
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:17:41 GMT

Yes, a replacement implementation of Jetty's RequestLog interface can be made to construct
the access log message in the same format as usual, but to log to a logger rather than directly
to a file.  This part of the mechanism has already been implemented.  The contents of the
logged message are not configurable from within the log4j configuration file, but from the
RequestLog properties or by hard coding them.  In fact, most of the logger configuration would
be configured (or even overridden) upon RequestLog instantiation.

The benefit of using log4j is the ability to use appenders.  For example, a default file appender
with threshold ALL could send all messages to a rotating file, and a JDBC appender could be
used for all ERROR level messages (which may have been configured from the RequestLog implementation
to be any request that received a 500 level response).  In a clustered environment, the addition
of a Socket appender could help with log consolidation.

I would want to configure each of these loggers from its own log4j configuration file and
kept separate from any other configuration that other components may be using.  My experience
with Log4J is limited so I may be incorrect, but it looks like the static methods usually
used to configure and retrieve loggers operate on a classloader-wide basis.  I am hoping to
localize Logger configuration and access to within an individual RequestLog instance.

Would it be better to make an extension of Logger and a specialized Configurator that only
reads appender information?

--
Center for the Application of Information Technologies