From dhallammail-lo...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: strange behaviour of log4j
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:00:05 GMT
I can't remember whether this was it or not, but I think I saw the same thing when someone
edited the log file in vi and then saved it again whilst it was being written to.  I might
be wrong, but I think it was at that point when there appeared to be lot of blank data at
the top of the file.

________________________________
From: "Vogtländer, Arend (bos)" <av@bos-bremen.de>
To: "log4j-user@logging.apache.org" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, 6 March, 2009 13:40:44
Subject: strange behaviour of log4j

Dear Sir or Madam,

we have monitored a quite strage effect in log4j logfiles, which are
produced on a JBoss applicationserver of one of our customers.

I tried to google about it, but couldn´t find any hint, that somebody ever
had the same problem, this is why i come to ask you about it.

the effect ist as follows:

the logfiles start with a line of nullvalues (0x00). this line is sometimes
a large ammounts of screenpages long.

It seems that there ist a nullvalue pushed to the beginning of the logfile
every some time.

E.g. today we had a logifle with a size of ~50MB content.

anyway there were only 69 Lines of entries, and a preceeding line with
50663124 "00" - Bytes.

We got the file zipped, and i would say, it has a phenomenal
compressionrate: the original size is 50.674.628 Bytes and compressed it has
50.478 Bytes. That comes to a Factor of ~1000, wow ;-)

Anyway, as we have no other customer, who has a similar problem, and there
seems to be nobody else having such a problem, I´d be very happy for a short
estimation, where I could have a look to find a cause for the effect.

The OS is a SuSE10, Applicationserver is JBoss 4.2.2, and the Log4j Version
is: 1.2.14 I´ll try to get the log4j.xml to check their Appenders, but maybe
this description already rings a bell for you?

with best regards

Arend Vogtländer

IT Services

--

bos | bremen online services GmbH & Co. KG Am Fallturm 9

D- 28359 Bremen

www.bos-bremen.de <outbind://46/www.bos-bremen.de>

Telefon: +49 421 20495 - 58

Telefax: +49 421 20495 - 11

E-Mail: wartung@bos-bremen.de

--

bremen online services

Entwicklungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende
Gisela Schwellach Amtsgericht Bremen HRA 22041

Persönlich haftender Gesellschafter:

bremen online services Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Stephan Klein

Amtsgericht Bremen HRB 18756