From Roberto Simoni <roberto.sim...@yahoo.it>
Subject Re: AW: DailyRollingFileAppender & RollingFileAppender after a rollover continues to write on previous file...
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:11:12 GMT
Thanks Heri. I have read more in deep log4j sources and found that
rollOver method is used in the synched method doAppend, so forget my
question.
Yeah, I think we have a problem in our JBoss configuration... I'm trying
to "tame the beast"
Thanks to all
Bye

Bender Heri ha scritto:
> Problems with the rolling over behaviour occur mostly if more than one Appender write
to the same file, e.g. out from different JVM's (since the file system cannot rename it if
the other Appender still holds a handle on the file).
> Heri
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
after a rollover continues to write on previous file... - Bayesian Filter detected spam

> Hi to all. We use log4j in a big project for our customer on a linux/unix system (JBoss
4, JDK 1.5).
> Every day, I see current time logs present in two log file... the current (<application_name>.log)
and the previous log (<application_name>.log.<date_pattern> or
> <application_name>.log.<counter>) as the rollover operation hasn't stopped
to write to the previous file.
> We have only a log4j.xml file and a file appender configured. What I see is that when
the problem occurs a lot of logs is in writing in that moment.
> We have a batch operation at midnight, so with DailyRollingFileAppender the problem occurs
everyday, instead with RollingFileAppender the problem occurs only if the rollover is made
around midnight.

> I have seen that rollover operation is *not* synchronized due to a "already synchronization
on doAppend method" (as sad in RollingFileAppender class).